Monday, October 4, 2010

Come and See

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?" ~ Gandhi




So the acolyte of peace is quoted as saying, and although in it there lies a truth, I believe it ignores the history that surrounds us.  I wonder if the Russian soldiers, shipped-off to the gulags of Siberia for betraying their country by surrendering to the Germans, would agree after witnessing the hero's treatment given to American P.O.W.s?  Regardless, today I am more interested in the kernel of truth the quotation contains.  I am led there via one of the greatest movies my eyes have witnessed: Come and See.


Created and filmed in Soviet Russia, the film chronicles the life of a young man as he prepares to join the Belorussian resistance to the German invasion of World War Two.  The film opens with the young man and his friend digging in the ground in an attempt to discover some abandoned rifles.  A rifle is a requirement for anyone attempting to join the partisans.  Afterwards, he finds his treasure and returns home and begins his journey into his dream world: that of a soldier.  Unfortunately, he finds out a truth learned throughout time, through the blood and suffering of countless billions: war is a nightmare.  I shall not go into the specifics of what he beholds, but needless to say he is changed.  What was once a lad with a perpetual smile and soft face, becomes the painting of Dorian Gray.


Perhaps Gandhi was not 100 percent accurate in what he said; however, the truth of his statement I found within the film.  So, Come and See the hell.

2 comments:

  1. Very insightful. I've often thought about the theme. Russian youth were probably filled with a desire to go to the ends of the earth to fight for the country. It's been so romanticized in much of the literature. They think they're sucking the marrow out of life. But when they get there, that impression is jolted out of them. War IS terrible. It offers the opportunity for courage and selflessness, but it's a terrible experience nonetheless.

    I will have to see this movie. You've put so much on my plate!

    I've neglected looking into the Russian perspective in WW2, a huge piece of the puzzle. I know bits and pieces about Stalingrad, and probably even less about Siberia, other than that it's an appalling place. I've always wondered why such a lopsided share of the attention has fallen on the Holocaust (as harrowing as that was) and not really on the atrocities of Russia. I'm speaking from the point of view of the movies. None that I know deal with Siberia, except yours. Only one that I know deals with Stalingrad: Is it Enemy at the Gates?

    I'll get to this more later. I've got a stupid block test to study for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be based on a unspoken belief that perhaps, as between the Russians and Germans, that there were no good guys. If so, then it is best not considered aloud that we enabled one mass murderer to defeat another...

    ReplyDelete